সোমবার, ২৪ সেপ্টেম্বর, ২০১২

The Plague Book Review

Albert Camus’ The Plague is the story of a town called Oran which is affected by a devastating plague that kills quickly and horribly. The town is soon quarantined and its citizens forced to live in solitude and fear. The story is told from the point of view of a doctor who is treating the disease.I recommend this novel to fans of literature. I really wanted to like this novel, but I found it a bit dry. Fans of allegory and those with interest in political systems will enjoy the deeper meaning within the novel.I enjoyed the interactions between the characters. This is where the emotional content of the novel comes through. I enjoyed the various aspects of how each character deals with their own solitude and fear of the disease.I also found the progression of quarantine and totalitarianism intriguing. The town is forced into solitude, being quarantined from the rest of the world, but it is done in such a manner that its citizens are rather complacent. Some do try to escape, but many submit to their imprisonment without argument or struggle.I really tried to like this novel. It has great reviews and is heralded by many as one of the best novels ever written. That being said, it really dragged for me. It took me several weeks to finish what others have called a “page-turner.” This simply was not the case for me. I found it dry and boring at times. I felt very little connection to the characters, and with the exception of one scene, I cared very little for what happened to them.Albert Camus is a Nobel prize-winning French-Algerian author who is best known for his novel, The Stranger. Although often called an existentialist, Camus rejected the label. He was actively opposed to totalitarianism, and his view is shown through his work, The Plague.If I were reading this novel through a college course, I believe I may have gotten more out of it. I’m interested in doing some research on a deeper analysis of the novel, because I think I will gain a better understanding of its significance. The Plague is not a bad novel; I just didn’t have a great experience reading it. I have a feeling I only comprehended the text on a basic, surface level, and I’d be interested in studying it for its allegorical aspects. I feel I’ve missed the point.

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন